We are looking for a part time Airfield Wildlife Hazard Management Operator to work 16 hours a week at our Odiham site. If you have a driving licence and shooting experience and are not afraid of lone working and shift work, this may be the role for you. if you like aircraft, even better!
Wildlife, particularly birds, pose a high risk to air safety, especially during critical points of flight, take-off and landing. The purpose of the Airfield Wildlife Control Operator (AWCO) is to eliminate the presence of birds and other wildlife on the airfield, reducing the risk to all aircraft. Wildlife is naturally attracted to the airfield due to several factors, the primary being the abundance of food.
Equipped with a 4x4 vehicle, bioacoustics, pyrotechnics and (when all else fails) an air rifle or shotgun, you will deter the wildlife from settling on the airfield and encourage all bird populations to stay well clear. The entire operation is carried out within the strict guidelines of Natural England, the Police and Local Airfield Management.
You will record all movements and activities in a digital watch log, with all lethally controlled animals dispatched under licence as a last resort to preserve the safety of aircraft.
What we are looking for:
To be considered for this position, you must be colour perception safe, hold a valid UK driving licence and be able to apply and maintain security clearance – this involves considerable financial and criminal record vetting. You will also:
- Ideally live within a maximum of a 45 minute drive from Odiham
- Have considerable shooting experience
- Ideally hold a shotgun and/ or firearms certificates or be able to obtain one from your local police authority if successful
- Be happy to work autonomously for long periods of time with nothing but your vehicle and your hand-held radio for company
- Be fine to use technology – a tablet in order to record findings and Wats App to communicate with your team members – or a willingness to learn
- Be fine with working outside in all areas
- be able to think on your feet and cope with pressure as it arises
If you are a keen photographer, this is also an advantage as it could be useful in documentation.
This role would suit someone who is fairly active outside of work, likes their own company, is flexible and supportive with a team ethos and who has recent shooting experience (from game keeping, pest control, clay / pigeon shooting, military service etc.).
Location RAF Odiham, Hampshire
Closing date 01/02/2020 00:00:00
Email To Clara.Scott@bainessimmons.com