We are looking for a part time Airfield Wildlife Control Operator for our RAF Benson site near Wallingford, in South Oxfordshire. This is for a Zero hours contract on a pay as you go basis, to cover pre planned holiday, sickness and ad-hoc absences where you are available. Benson operating hours would be Monday to Friday, 08:00 to 17:00, extending to 19:00 in the summer so your shifts would fall within these hours and we would issue a rota as far in advance as possible to assist planning. This position would suit an outdoors person with shooting experience, who has a passion for wildlife and is happy to be flexible and pick up work as it is required. If you like aircraft and/ or have a military background, even better!
Wildlife, particularly birds, pose a high risk to air safety, especially during critical points of flight, take-off and landing. The purpose of the Airfield Wildlife Control Operator (AWCO) is to eliminate the presence of birds and other wildlife on the airfield, reducing the risk to all aircraft. Wildlife is naturally attracted to the airfield due to several factors, the primary being the abundance of food.
Equipped with a 4x4 vehicle, bioacoustics, pyrotechnics and (when all else fails) an air rifle or shotgun, you will deter the wildlife from settling on the airfield and encourage all bird populations to stay well clear. The entire operation is carried out within the strict guidelines of Natural England, the Police and Local Airfield Management.
You will record all movements and activities in a digital watch log, with all lethally controlled animals dispatched under licence as a last resort to preserve the safety of aircraft.
What we are looking for:
To be considered for this position, you must be colour perception safe, hold a valid UK driving licence and be able to apply and maintain security clearance – this involves considerable financial and criminal record vetting. You will also:
- Ideally live within a maximum of 45 minutes’ drive from RAF Benson in South Oxfordshire (OX10 6AA)
- Have considerable shooting experience
- Ideally hold a shotgun and/ or firearms certificates or be able to obtain one from your local police authority if successful
- Be happy to work autonomously for long periods of time with nothing but your vehicle and your hand-held radio for company
- Be fine to use technology – a tablet in order to record findings and Wats App to communicate with your team members – or a willingness to learn
- Be fine with working outside in all areas
- be able to think on your feet and cope with pressure as it arises
If you are a keen photographer, this is also an advantage as it could be useful in documentation.
This role would suit someone who is fairly active outside of work, likes their own company, is flexible and supportive with a team ethos and who has recent shooting experience (from game keeping, pest control, clay / pigeon shooting, military service etc.).
Location RAF Benson site near Wallingford, in South Oxfordshire
Closing date 22/01/2020 00:00:00
Email To Clara.Scott@bainessimmons.com